Sunday, March 15, 2009

I am reading To Walk the Sky Path by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. In my last reading, tourists had come and watched Billie's family when they were bathing and washing their clothes. Will Billie's family do anything to keep the tourists away? If I was part of Billie's family, I would! I wonder what will happen when Billie goes back to school. What will the teacher say? I think the teacher will be disappointed in Billie because he missed a lot of school.

When I read, I found out that Mush Jim put up a sign at the camp that made tourists want to stay away. The sign said "Cholera. Quarantine. Department of Public Health." Billie asked Mr. Bernard what the sign meant. Mr. Bernard said it meant that there is a dangerous disease in the camp and no one was allowed in until the sign is taken down. Billie liked Mr. Bernard but he didn't like Mrs. Kelly. I wouldn't like Mrs. Kelly either. She was mad that he had missed weeks of school but did not care about what had happened to him and his family. Mr. Bernard seems to care about Billie. A word that I needed clarified was cholera. I read further and discovered that it is a dangerous disease. My mom says it give you really bad diarrhea.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew,

    You did a nice job explaining what Mush Jim did to keep tourists away. You gave a lot of details. I really like how you are connecting to the book and giving your opinion on things. That is the sign of a great reader!

    Ms. Welker

    ReplyDelete