Sunday, May 3, 2009

I am reading The Witches by Roald Dahl. In my last reading the narrator's Grandmama was telling him how dangerous witches were. One question I had was will the boy stay in Norway? I predict that he will because he is living with his Grandmama now and her house is in Norway. Another question I had was how do witches make children disappear? I wonder if the witches eat them like in the B.F.G.

In my reading this week, I discovered how witches make children vanish. Grandmama and the boy (who are still in Norway) talked about five children that Grandmama saw disappear over the years. The first child went away with a tall lady with white gloves on. She was never heard from again. The second child ate an apple from a strange lady. The next day she disappeared and was found feeding the ducks in an oil painting. The third child started growing feathers and turned into a chicken. The fourth child turned to stone, and the last child turned into a porpoise. I would be freaked out if any of those things happened to me. Being a porpoise might be sort of cool though. As I was reading I wondered what the word fjord meant. I read around the word and looked at the picture, which made me decide that it must be some kind of body of water. I looked it up in the dictionary and found out that it meant "a narrow inlet of sea between cliffs and steep slopes". I wonder if the boy will meet any witches in my next reading...

1 comment:

  1. Great job Andrew,

    I feel like a lot of your post was a summary, but I think that was because you were answering your question. You did a fantastic job clarifying fjord. I am impressed!

    Ms. Welker

    ReplyDelete